Why are You Grateful for Your Dog?
by Robin MacFarlane
Some of the reasons why I think we should remember to acknowledge our canine companions.November is the month we've appointed as a time to express gratitude and celebrate all that we are thankful for. When Thanksgiving is approaching I'm reminded that I'm thankful for my friends, my family, my health, and that I don't have to cook this year!
I'm also grateful for the dogs I currently have and those that have shared time with me through the years. I'd like to share some of the reasons why I think we should remember to acknowledge our canine companions this season.
Top 10 Reasons to be grateful for dogs
10. They may drag in some muddy footprints from time to time, but on a daily basis they keep the floor pretty spotless. They do a way better job getting that bit of bacon grease splatter off the floor than I every will!
9. They provide a strong sense of security. I'm confident they will hear any odd disturbances before I do. For that reason alone, they earn their keep.
8. They can keep a secret. They'll never disclose who really did it so you can always blame the dog, like my hubby does, because I'm a lady and it would NEVER be me. ;-)
7. Dogs, in general, are role models for loyalty. You can come home late, or not feel like leaving the couch for the weekend and they will hang in there with you, no complaints. They are happy just to be in your presence.
6. They know the value of soaking in a sunbeam. And we all need to be reminded of that from time to time.
5. For all of our working K9s around the world, thank you.
4. They are always ready and willing to do something. No waiting for them to be "in the mood to go out," and no time wasted getting ready.
3. They don't mind our singing. No matter how badly I massacre a version of "American Girl," they dance right along with me.
2. It may be despicable, but they do look funny when we put sunglasses on them, or an old hat, or a Halloween costume, and they tolerate the silliness with out much fuss. They always take one for the team to make us smile.
1. The best thing about dogs -- they exemplify gratitude. A pat on the head, a scratch off the belly, a scrap from the table, or just a kind word. It all makes their tail wag. Dogs are our perfect reminder for how to live in the moment.
Robin MacFarlane is a professional dog trainer and owner of Thatís My Dog in Dubuque, Iowa. Her best-selling dog training DVDs, JUST RIGHT and JUST RIGHT 2 have helped thousands of dog owners teach their dogs basic obedience and fix problem behaviors through a system of training that you can easily work into your daily routine.
FREE or only a penny with the following collars:
Delta XC, Delta SPORT XC
SD-425, SD-825, SD-1325
and several more...
Here's Why You Should Train Your DogDoes Your Dog Know her Place?Teaching a Recall? Start Slow and Make the Dog SuccessfulTeaching the Down CommandHouse Manners"Pay Me!"How to Strengthen Your Dog's Understanding of "Stay"How Long Does My Dog have to Wear the E-Collar?Consistency Without an E-collarSkills Every Puppy Should LearnDogs and Doorbells -- Oh My!Stop Your Dog from Bolting to the Door!Use Food Lures to Shape Your Puppies Introduction to Sit, Stand and DownPuppy Training 101: Play Biting ProblemTeaching Your Puppy to "Kennel Up"Dog Tricks: How to Teach Your Dog to Walk BackwardsWant a Standing Ovation? Teach Your Dog to "Take A Bow!"Want Your Dog to Come to You? Try Moving Away from Him."Catch me if you can!"Tired of Fido Stealing Your Snacks?E-Collar, Leash, Treats, Toy, and the Dog. How to Manage it All!Dog Tricks: Teaching Your Dog to DanceBefore You Expect a Dog to Stay on a Place, Teach Him to get on Willingly.Adding E-Collar Prompting to your Place CommandImpulse Control Games are a Time Well Spent Playing with your Dog!Juggling All Your Training Equipment?
FREE Dog Training VideosProper Fit of E-CollarIs Your Dog Collar Wise?"How long does my dog have to wear the collar?"Pressure NecrosisUsing Treats in TrainingCan I Use an E-Collar on My Little Dog?I Need a Shock Collar!Dog Training: Keeping it Real: Training Your Dog Should be EasyWhy Would I Want to Use an E-Collar on My Dog?A Tired Dog is a Good DogThree Things You Must Know to Have a Reliably Trained DogAre Remote Collars Punishment, Negative Reinforcement, or Motivators?The Best Way to Rescue a DogIt is More than Just Pushing a Button: Part OneWhat About the Leash?Tennis Ball, Tug or Cookie? What do Rewards Have to do with Good Training?The More Important Tool: Part 4 of "It Is More Than Just Pushing a Button."Do You Need Impeccable Timing in Order to Use a Remote Collar?What Does Your Dog's Future Look Like?6 Essential Things to Teach to Have a Good DogThe Top 3 Reasons Your Remote Collar Doesn't Seem to be WorkingHow Long Does It Take to Train My Dog?Put a Plan Into Motion for Dealing With Your Dog's Behavior Problems!Why are You Grateful for Your Dog?Are You Struggling to Get Your Dog to Stay? Try This.There are Only 3 Levels on a Remote Training Collar?The One Thing You Must Know if You Want to Train with an E-CollarHow to Help Your Dog Understand What You WantPhotos: One Great Reason to Teach a Place Command to Your DogNew Puppy TipsSit? or Sit! -- The Case for Intonation When Speaking to Your DogNumber of CommandsSo Your Dog Knows Sit. Now What?20 Reasons to Teach a Place CommandE-Collar Use: Training vs. EnforcingKnow How to Train a Dog, Know How to Use a Remote Collar?5 Ways to Enhance Feeding Time"But my dog doesn't like it."Outwit Your Dogs if You Want Better BehaviorWeaning Off E-Stim: Tap, Tell or HelpProofing: How to Help Your Dog Really "Get It."Should Your Dog Sleep on the Bed With You?Human Body LanguageGood Health: The Missing Link for a Happy and Well-Adjusted Dog?Are You the Center of Your Dog's World?E-Collar Training: Be Sure to Do This Before You Go Off LeashWhat Behavior are You Rewarding the Most?The Importance of Routine Nail Trims for Your DogWhen is the Right Time to Start Training My Dog?Is it Important that a Dog Learn to Heel?3 Things to do Right Now to Avoid Separation Issues with Your Dog